The ultimate comforting vegetarian lasagne
This butternut squash and tomato lasagne are one of my favourite vegetarian dishes.
- SERVES: 4
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- COOK TIME: 1 hr
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- IDEAL FOR: meat-free Monday, vegetarian, family meal, midweek meal
Butternut squash and tomato lasagne recipe
I found this recipe in my new favourite cookbook, Mezcla.
- 1 small to medium (or ½ large) butternut squash, sliced thinly (4mm)
- 400 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, minced/thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cracked pepper for seasoning
- Glug of olive oil
- 10 sage leaves
- 220 g double cream
- 80 g parmesan, grated
- ¼ tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 250 – 300 g lasagne sheets
- 400 g chicken stock or vegetarian/water
- Sea salt and pepper for seasoning
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 C.
- Peel the butternut squash and using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice thinly (approx. 4mm) circles.
- In a large bowl, mix the butternut, halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, chopped sage (keep some sage leaves for the topping), salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, make the sauce. Mix the double cream (keep a little cream for later), parmesan, and nutmeg.
- Use an oven dish (approx. 28cm x 23cm) and start layering –
- Lasagne sheets, butternut mix, a little cream sauce. Repeat until you’ve finished the ingredients (approx. 3 layers). Remember to keep a little cream sauce.
- Now, pour the stock/water over and cover the dish with foil. Pop into the oven for 50 mins.
- After 50 mins, take the foil off, spoon over the last of the cream sauce, then pop back into the oven for another 10 mins.
- Optional: Last but not least, add the last sage leaves to the top (brush with a little oil so they don’t burn) and put it back in the oven for 5 mins.
- Rest the lasagne. Add more parmesan and serve.
If you fancy a non-vegetarian lasagne, visit here.