No double cream was harmed (or used) in this dish
This creamy broccoli pasta is coated in a luscious sauce that’s entirely cream-free.
The use of white beans gives you the perfect creamy sauce.
It’s a tangy blend of white beans, lemon juice & a little cheddar cheese.
And if you want to make it vegan, it’s simple.
Just swap the cheese for nutritional yeast.
Creamy broccoli pasta
- SERVES: 4
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 20 mins
- 2½ cups small shell pasta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
For the creamy pasta sauce:
- 1½ cups cooked white beans – i.e. cannellini, chickpeas, etc – drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable stock, more as needed
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Make the sauce: In a blender, combine the white beans, stock, lemon juice, olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and a splash of water or vegetable stock. Cover and steam cook for 3 mins or until just tender. Turn off the heat.
- Add the pasta, then stir in the sauce, adding more stock if the sauce is too dry.
- Season to taste with more salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Top with the pine nuts and serve.
Recipe inspired by Love and Lemons
For more veggie or vegan recipes, visit here.