A delicious hearty and healthy dish
Enjoy simple, healthy harissa baked butter beans as a meal in itself or a great side dish.
- SERVES: 2 – 4
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- COOK TIME: 40 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- IDEAL FOR: vegetarians, side dish, simple midweek-meal
Harissa baked butter beans
This dish is one of Alexandra Dudley’s.
It is hearty and healthful and has a lovely chilli kick.
Harissa brings a wonderful fiery smokiness that goes well with the creamy beans.
And the feta adds a lovely saltiness to the dish.
Harissa baked butter beans recipe
Like all dishes, the key to a simple dish is investing in good quality ingredients.
- 1 fennel, quartered
- 1 small onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp smoked chilli or rose harissa (or 1 tsp smoked paprika if you are not using smoked chilli harissa)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g taggiasche or kalamata olives
- 600g good quality jarred butter beans (if possible)
- 100g feta
- parsley or dill to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220° fan setting.
- Cut fennel into wedges, and place in a deep oven-proof dish large enough to hold the beans. Toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and sea salt and bake for 20 mins whilst you make the sauce.
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat 1tbsp oil. Add the onion and cook for about 5mins until softened. Then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, harissa, vinegar, and sugar. Stir to combine, then stir through the olives. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally until slightly reduced.
- Drain and rinse the butterbeans. Add these to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Spoon the beans into the dish with the fennel and toss gently to combine. Return to the oven for 15-20 mins until the sauce is bubbling.
If you love butter beans, then check out this recipe.