Two delicious versions of ‘pigs in blankets’; meat lovers and vegetarian lovers
Everyone loves Christmas snacks so try these tasty versions of halloumi in blankets
Keep all sides of the family happy with our favourite squeaky cheese being the main star of the show.
Two tasty versions of halloumi in blankets
Get your meat-loving version along with this tasty veggie-version.
‘Halloumi-pigs’ in blankets
This recipe comes from Delicious Magazine.
Squeaky halloumi wrapped up in a tasty bacon blanket, with some sweet honey.
It’s making me drawl just thinking about it.
Try this version alongside these tasty pigs in blankets.
You won’t be disappointing anyone this Christmas.
- SERVES: 8
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- COOK TIME: 15 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- 1 block (225g) halloumi
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- Runny honey to drizzle
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Heat the oven to 170°C fan/gas 5.
- Cut the block of halloumi in half through its middle, creating 2 thinner sheets and cut each sheet into 4 batons.
- Cut each rasher of bacon in half, then run the back of your knife along each piece to stretch them out a bit. Roll each halloumi baton up in the bacon, using a cocktail stick to secure it in place. Put on a baking tray.
- Roast the halloumi in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the cheese has softened. Drizzle with honey then sprinkle with dried oregano.
Halloumi in charred courgette blankets
I found this little number on BBCGoodFood.
A delicious veggie spin on pigs in blankets.
Halloumi wrapped in thin strips of charred courgette.
You don’t have to be a veggie to know this will taste amazing.
- SERVES: 4
- PREP TIME: 20 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- 2 large courgettes, trimmed and thinly sliced into strips lengthways
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the tin and brushing
- 2 x 250g blocks halloumi
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- handful of thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- Tip the courgette strips into a bowl with a little salt, the paprika and half the oil, and toss to coat.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan over a high heat and sear the courgette slices until lightly charred and wilted, then lift onto a plate and leave to cool. You may need to do this in batches.
- Cut each block of halloumi into eight slices, then in half along the seam.
- Tip the halloumi into the bowl you used for the courgettes, along with the other half of the oil, the lemon zest and juice, some black pepper and the thyme, and toss to coat.
- Wrap the courgette slices around the halloumi pieces, then arrange on an oiled, shallow baking tray.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Brush the ‘pigs in blankets’ with a little oil, then bake for 12-15 mins until sizzling and the exposed halloumi is starting to brown.