A lovely veggie dish or a tasty side
Looking for a simple dish to whip up during the week? try butter beans, paprika and peppers
- SERVES: 4
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 30mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
Butter beans, paprika and peppers
I love a simple dish where you can find all the ingredients in your store cupboard.
It’s nice to be able to produce outstanding meals both during the week and weekend.
But sometimes, life, just gets in the way.
And this is where I think this little number comes into it’s own.
Open up you cupboard and get cracking.
Plus, it ticks the box for a meat-free meal.
And we know beans are incredibly nutritious.
I also use this recipe to add to a main meat meal as a delicous side.
Butter beans, paprika and peppers recipe
- red onions 3, diced
- extra virgin olive oil 125ml
- garlic 4 cloves, finely sliced
- dried chilli flakes 1 tbsp (pul biber, preferably)
- sweet smoked paprika 1½ tbsp
- tomato puree 1 tbsp
- butter beans 2 x 400g tins, drained and rinsed
- sherry vinegar 5 tbsp
- peppers 2, sliced
- sea salt flakes
- In a wide-based pan over a medium heat, caramelise the red onions in olive oil for 15 minutes or until they turn golden and soft.
- Add a little salt, the garlic and spices, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the sliced peppers.
- Next, add the tomato puree and cook for another minute.
- Add the butter beans and sherry vinegar and reduce the liquid by half over a medium heat.
- Turn the heat off. Add a good slug of olive oil and season with sea salt flakes to serve.
For more vegetarian ideas, check out my meat-free ideas.
Recipe: Three: Acid, Texture, Contrast by Selin Kiazim