It’s BBQ weather so discover some new tasty sides
Discover some new ideas in Part IV: Sensational sides for your BBQ.
Sometimes, the focus is on the main course but having simple, tasty sides can elevate your BBQ.
And have your guests coming back for more!
Charred spring onions
So simple, yet these feisty little spring onions become deliciously sweet.
COOKING TIME: 5 mins
IDEAL FOR: side
- 2 bunches of spring onions (about 20)
- Heat your BBQ to medium-high (or heat a griddle pan on your hob if not using a BBQ).
- Wash the spring onions and pat dry. Trim off the ends, then place the onions directly on the BBQ or in a hot griddle pan.
- When the spring onions have softened and blackened, take off the heat and and serve.
Roasted corn salsa with jalapeno and lime
A lovely bright side dish to go with your BBQ meats.
COOKING TIME: 10 mins
IDEAL FOR: side
- 3 large ears of corn, de-husked – or you can use 2 x 340 g tinned corn kernels
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced – or you can buy jalapeno in a jar
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder or a substitue is smoked paprika powder
- If you’re doing this on a BBQ, then heat the grill for medium heat direct cooking, about 175-200C (350-400F). You can char corn on the cob under a oven grill as well (and if you only have tinned corn, strain and lay out on foil under the oven grill to char)
- Place the corn cobs directly over the hot part of the grill and rotate every minute for about 5 mins total. This will char the corn and cook it slightly.
- Cut kernels off cobs, and place into a bowl along with the chopped coriander, onion, jalapeno. Add the lime juice, salt and chipotle powder, then stir to combine.
Grilled creamed corn
A great side that packs a punch with charred, fresh corn and jalapeño.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOKING TIME: 25 mins
IDEAL FOR: side
Makes enough for 6
- 6 fresh corn, de-husked – or I just used 2 x 340 g cans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño, minced (optional)
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat grill to high on a BBQ or your oven grill. Grill corn until kernels are charred and slightly softened, 10 mins. Once cooled, cut kernels off the cob and set aside. (If you only have tinned corn, strain and lay out on foil under the oven grill to char).
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, and let cook until bubbly. Whisk in milk, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Add jalapeño, if using. Cook for another 3 mins.
- Stir in corn kernels and toss to coat, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Part IV: Sensational sides for your BBQ
So, there you have it.
A few more lovely, simple sides that will impress your family and friends at your next BBQ.
And the best part, is they all take between 10 – 25 mins to whip up.