Cooked lettuce?! Get the non-believers, to believe
PREP TIME: 2 mins
COOK TIME: 6 mins
IDEAL FOR: simple sides, vegetarians
OK, so this sounds a bit wrong.
Who wants to take a nice fresh crisp lettuce and cook it!?!
I know, as I did, you’ve pictured wilted, soggy leaves sitting alongside your lovely juicy steak or pork ribs and your friends or family looking at you as if you’ve gone mad.
Well, I’m here to tell you that this super simple side is in fact, rather lovely.
And, even our teenagers love it! (of course, I didn’t tell them what it was until after-the-fact).
It becomes lovely and tender on the inside but still has a bit of crunch and if done on the grill or wood oven, takes on a bit of smokiness.
So, if you’re looking for a quick side to go with your meal, that is healthy and tasty, then look no further.
Any great side dishes you’d like to share, drop me a line or leave a comment…
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
Grilled Little Gem
- 3 Cos Little Gem Lettuce Halved (they’re the smaller version of the Romaine lettuce)
- Olive oil
- (Sea) salt and Pepper for seasoning
- On a BBQ – Make sure grill is on a medium to high heat (*this can also be done in a skillet or frying pan).
- Splash some oil over the halved lettuce and sprinkle some sea salt and pepper over them
- Place cut side onto the grill and sear for approx. 2-3 mins
- Flip over to the other side for a minute or two
- Remove from the grill and place in a serving dish
- Sprinkle a few more flakes of sea salt and pepper over the lettuce, drizzle a little more oil, grate some Parmesan over them all and a squeeze of lemon
- Serve. And be amazed at the reaction of those non-believer’s sitting at your dining table
You need to cut the lettuce vertically – otherwise all the leaves will fall away!