Healthy, hearty, and perfect for cooler days
A hearty chicken soup with ginger and turmeric is perfect for a delicious soul-warming meal.
- SERVES: 2
- PREP TIME: 15 mins
- COOK TIME: 50 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- IDEAL FOR: midweek meal, vegetarian, lunch, light supper
- BUDGET: £
Chicken soup with ginger and turmeric
This recipe from FedandFit is a really lovely soup for warming you up.
But as we all know; ginger and turmeric also have health benefits.
Ginger can help with:
- Better digestion
- Improving immunity
- Relieving nausea and upset stomach
And turmeric has been touted as an antioxidant and can help lower cholesterol etc.
Personally, I don’t know the real ins and outs of turmeric or ginger for improving health.
But I do know that they add great flavour and colour to your food and this soup 😊
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 head lacinato kale de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until both are browned and the onion is translucent, then add the garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Return the chicken to the pot along with the sweet potatoes, then stir in the chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and turmeric.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Pull the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Add the chicken back to the pot then stir in the coconut milk and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is fully wilted.
- Add the lemon juice and then taste the soup for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Spoon into individual bowls and serve!
For another tasty heart warming soup, check out here.