The perfect night for an excuse to enjoy hotdogs and cheesy sandwiches
Easy to make, these bonfire night snacks are the ultimate food for a cold evening watching fireworks and writing your name in the dark with a sparkler
Choose from (or make all three!):
- Sticky cider onion hot dog
- Quick chilli hot dog
- Easy Philly cheesesteak sandwich
3 Bonfire night snacks
Sticky onion hot dog
Sweet, sticky hot dog with caramelised onions and cider
- A knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions sliced thinly
- 100 ml dry cider
- 1 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 sausages
- 2 hot dog buns or brioche or baguette
- Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil and butter, then throw in your onions and let them caramelise. Do this on a medium heat for approx 20 minutes
- Then pour in the cider and leave to simmer until reduced.
- (In another pan, start to cook your sausages).
- Back to your onions. Add in the cider vinegar and dark sugar and stir in. It should look lovely and shiny; dark and sticky looking but don't cook so there is no liquid at all…. you're not making toffee!
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Now, assemble your hot dog… slice down the middle of the roll, add your sausage and as much of the onion mix and mayonnaise as you like. Enjoy.
Chilli beef hot dog topping
Servings 8 hot dog toppings
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced or minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp heaped tsp chilli powder
- 500 g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to seaon
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion.Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onion, cook until soft over medium heat.
- Next, add the garlic, cumin seeds and cook for 1-2 mins (until the cumin seeds are fragrant). Then add the chilli powder and stir in.Add the ground beef, breaking it up into the pan and brown the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste to the fried minced meat and mix, then pour in the chopped tinned tomatoes.Add 1-2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, dried oregano and a pinch of sugar and cook for another 1-2 mins.
- This is your topping ready for the Detroit hot dog. Load it up!
Recipe: Gordon Ramsey
How to make Philly cheesesteak
It couldn’t be easier.
- 250 g beef, thinly sliced – ribeye or flank are good choices
- 4 x bread rolls, cut down the top middle (don’t go completely through the roll – good quality (buttery)
- 1 x onion, chopped
- 100 g provolone (or similar) cheese, sliced thinly
- In a frying pan, add a glug of oil and saute the onions for 5 – 7mins
- Move the onions to the side and add the beef strips, (season if you need to) and cook for a few mins
- Add the sliced cheese on top of the beef and onions until it starts to melt
- Serve by piling the filling into each roll
Reference: Natasha’s Kitchen
For more snack ideas, visit here.