The perfect addition to your summer BBQ
There’s nothing better than tasty grilled vegetarian BBQ skewers on a warm summer’s evening.
- SERVES: 4
- PREP TIME: 10 mins + marinate time: 30 mins
- COOK TIME: 10 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
I’ve found two delicious, simple ideas to go alongside any BBQ meal.
The first one is balsamic garlic grilled mushroom skewers.
Ok, you need to like mushrooms for this one.
But with the balsamic marinade, these are winners!
And if you’re a meat-lover and are having steak on the BBQ.
This is a fantastic accompaniment.
The next one is your classic veggie skewer.
But with the (squeaky) salty taste of grilled halloumi.
Balsamic garlic grilled mushroom skewers recipe
- 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the mushrooms in the mixture of the remaining ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Skewer the mushrooms and grill over medium-high heat until just tender and slightly charred, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Halloumi and vegetable BBQ skewers
I love this idea and found it at Closet Cooking.
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- COOK TIME: 6 mins
- SERVES: 8 skewers
Tip: If you use wooden skewers soak them in water for 15 mins first
- 250 g halloumi cut in to 2cm cubes
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 peppers (red and yellow), cut into squares
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon juice only
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Put everything into a bowl and mix well.
- Thread on to 8 skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes first, so they don’t burn when cooking.
- Put the skewers under the grill for 10 minutes (or until everything is nicely cooked), turning every minute
If you want some tips on becoming a legend at the BBQ, click here.