Quick, delicious and perfect for a brunch, lunch or light supper
Looking for a simple, meat-free meal then try these simple courgette, pea, feta and chilli fritters.
- SERVES: 10 fritters
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOKING TIME: 10 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- PERFECT FOR: midweek meal, healthy meal, brunch, lunch
Courgette, pea, feta and chilli fritters
I love a fritter.
And these little beauties are quick and delicious.
Plus, they can be made gluten-free using gram flour (see below).
You can also tart them up with some nice minty yoghurt or a fresh salad.
What to serve with your courgette, pea, feta and chilli fritters
As mentioned, a nice mint yoghurt dip is perfect with a squeeze of lemon.
And a healthy salad.
But depending on the time of day.
Or the mood you’re in, you can make them a little more indulgent.
Why not have them alongside:
- a poached egg
- sprinkle more feta over top or add some extra chilli flakes
- dip into sweet chilli sauce
- add some crispy bacon
- sevrve with minted lamb chops
I’m getting hungry writing this!
What is gram flour?
It’s chickpea flour, made from, of course, ground chickpeas.
And it’s gluten-free so my gorgeous nephew can eat them!
Plus this flour contains more protein than other flour.
And has fewer calories and carbs. Win!
- Whole wheat: 408 calories, 3g fat, 86g carbohydrates, 16g protein
- Chickpea: 356 calories, 6g fat, 53g carbohydrates, 21g protein
Gram flour is often used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking e.g. batter for bhajis and pakoras, flatbreads etc.
Gram flour or chickpea flour (whatever you prefer) has a dense, stickier texture than all-purpose flour when added to liquids.
So you can also use it as a thickener for sauces and soups.
However, despite its dense texture, it is an incredibly light batter when frying.
So, it’s worth adding it to your larder.
Minty yoghurt dip
- 120ml Greek yoghurt
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves… 3 tsp mint sauce
Mix the ingredients together with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and approx. 1 tsp salt.
Courgette, pea, feta and chilli fritters recipe
- 200g of frozen peas
- 100g of gram flour (chickpea flour) or use plain white flour
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100g of feta
- 2 courgettes
- 1 green chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil
- Place the frozen peas into a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave them to one side for 5-10 mins until soft, then drain.
- Next whisk the flour, lime juice and eggs together in a large bowl until you get a nice thick, smooth mixture.
- Now, crumble in the feta, grate in the courgettes, add the chopped chilli (or use chilli flakes) and the drained peas with a good pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Finally, over medium heat, in a large pan, add a little olive oil then spoon 2 tablespoons of the fritter mixture and smooth out using the back of the spoon, to create a fritter shape.
- Cook the fritter for 3-5 mins on each side until golden on the outside and cooked through.
Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by: BetterLemonFood