This is a lovely rustic lasagne with an oozy cheese sauce and crunchy topping
In just 40 mins you’ll create this delicious rustic vegetarian lasagne for all the family to enjoy.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Difficulty: easy
- Ideal for: family, crowd-pleaser, mid-week meal, meat-free/vegetarian
Rustic vegetarian lasagne
This is a great Jamie Oliver recipe for a comforting, meat-free dish that all the family will enjoy.
We’re all trying to cut down on our meat intake.
And when we do have a meat dish, we go for high welfare to ensure we are only supporting farms with best practices.
So, this recipe hits the spot when it comes to a meat-free, inexpensive dish that packs loads of flavour.
- 1 leek
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 160 g mature Cheddar cheese
- 50 g stale bread
- 2 heaped tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 litre semi-skimmed milk
- 300 g frozen peas
- 500 g frozen broccoli
- 250 g dried lasagne sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Put a large shallow casserole pan on a medium-high heat. Wash, trim and slice the leek (see tip) and place in the pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the dried mint. Season with sea salt and black pepper, then cover and fry for 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring regularly and adding a splash of water, if needed.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grate the Cheddar and finely chop the bread to create rustic breadcrumbs, and put aside for later.
- Stir the flour into the leeks, followed by the mustard, and slowly stir in the milk to give you a loose white sauce, then add just half of the grated Cheddar and leave to blip away for a few minutes. Season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, then stir in the frozen peas and broccoli.
- Snap in the pasta sheets, mix up really well to coat and separate, then pull some of the sheets to the top to create a top layer – use the back of a spoon to create some dips and wells.
- Toss the remaining Cheddar with the breadcrumbs, then scatter over. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve topped with an extra grating of Cheddar, if you like.