Easy to make, healthy and a taste sensation
Next time you fancy a homemade burger, try these incredible Vietnamese chicken burgers.
- SERVES: 4
- PREP: 20 mins
- COOK: 20 mins
- DIFFICULTY: easy
Vietnamese chicken burgers
We love a burger in our household.
After all, I am a Kiwi.
And the great Kiwi Burger is one of the best (if not the best) burgers in the world!
But I have to say, this Vietnamese chicken burger is in there as a close 2nd or 3rd.
The beauty of a chicken burger is you can add loads of flavours to the burger – it’s like a black canvas for flavours.
Vietnamese food has an incredible balance of aromatics, heat, sweetness, sourness, and fish-sauciness.
They really know how to create a balance between sweet and salty, heat and cool and fresh and tangy.
The food in the north of Vietnam is influenced by China.
So, you’ll find stir-fries and noodle-based soups.
Thailand and Cambodia
Going further south the flavours pick up influences from Thailand and Cambodia.
And the tropical climate has more rice paddies, coconut groves, jackfruit trees, and herb gardens.
The food in southern Vietnam is typically sweeter: sweeter broths for pho, and more palm sugar used in savoury dishes.
The French colonised Vietnam, beginning with missionaries around the 18th Century, through to 1954.
And apart from the architecture, you’ll find the crusty French baguette still features the banh mi sandwich.
Vietnamese chicken burgers
There are two options for this burger recipe.
The first one is making a patty from ground chicken (breast or thigh, or a bit of both).
And simply mixed with fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, onion, garlic, and some carrot.
Then shaped and grilled.
However, if you don’t fancy making patties then I’ve added, below, how to use chicken breasts (a bit like a Nando’s chicken burger).
With a marinade to give the Vietnamese vibe.
The choice is yours.
Vietnamese chicken breast burger alternative
For the pickled chilli:
- 2 long red chilli
- olive oil – 2 x tbsp
- white wine vinegar – 2 x tbsp
- white sugar – 2 x tsp
The chicken burger patty alternative
- 4 x free-range chicken breasts or thigh fillets
- 90 g Vietnamese stir-fry paste (or see below how to easily make it)
- 140 g mixed salad leaves
- 2 x tsp oil (to dress the salad)
- 2 x tsp white wine vinegar (to dress the salad)
- 4 x burger buns
- 2 x carrots
- 40 g mayonnaise
- First, peel the carrot then coarsely grate and thinly slice the chilli.
- Next, marinate chicken: Put the stir-fry paste/mix and 1 – 2 tbs oil in a bowl, then stir to combine. Add the chicken and coat to the marinade.
- Pickle chilli: Put the chilli, 1 tbs white wine vinegar and 1 tsp sugar in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Season with salt and set aside until needed.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the chicken for 5-6 mins on each side until cooked through. Remove from the pan and rest for 2 mins.
- Toast buns: Put the buns on an oven tray, cut-side up, and grill for 2-3 mins until lightly toasted.
- In a bowl, add 2 tsp oil and 2 tsp white wine vinegar and mix together, then add the salad leaves, carrot and half the chilli (drain them first), and toss together.
- Build your burgers: Spread some mayo on the buns, add a chicken breast, salad, a little more pickled chilli and enjoy!
Simple Vietnamese stir fry sauce
Makes about 1/3 cup
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 t tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix cold water and starch until completely dissolved.
- Then combine this paste with oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
Vietnamese chicken burger
- 500 g ground chicken breast or thighs
- 2 tbsp grated (peeled) carrot
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp sesame oil, divided
- 2 large, garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup panko or bread crumbs
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 140 g salad leaves
- 1 cup grated (peeled) carrots
- 1 – 2 serrano chilli's thinly sliced
- sriracha mayonnaise or mayo as your desired dressing
- 4 burger buns
- In a bowl, add ground chicken breast, fish sauce, soy sauce, 2 tbsp minced carrot, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion and panko or bread crumbs and mix until combined. Shape into four patties.Chill for 5 – 10 mins (makes it easier to shape the patties).
- Now cook in a frying pan with a little oil for approx. 4-5 mins per side.
- Toast buns and slather the sirracha mayo or whatever condiment you prefer on the top and bottom bun. Place burger patty on bun, then top with cucumbers slices, salad leaves, grated carrot, slices of Serrano peppers etc, pop the top bun on top and serve.