Curry in hallowed loaf of bread - a South African favourite.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large white onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, it's up to you)
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 2 ground cardamom pods
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced (or green beans)
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 2 large, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 - 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 unsliced loaves of crusty (traditionally) white bread, cut across in half in the middle and most of inside hollowed out like a bread bowl
In a frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the cinnamon and bay leaves until fragrant (approx 1-2 mins).
Add the onions and fry until they are almost translucent then add garlic, ginger, and all of the spices. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
Add the carrots or beans, potatoes, chicken, and stock (or water). Stir and bring to a low simmer. Leave to cook and cover for about 30 minutes until chicken is tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove the cinnamon stick and spoon the curry inside the bread.